My name is Kyle Harris and I've been working in IT infrastructure design, implementation, and maintenance for about the last 25 years. I live in Franklin, TN and am available for contract work or freelance work on an as-needed basis. I consider myself to be equally proficient with Windows and Linux. The main reason I geared this site for Linux is because I have found that many small companies attempt to use Linux due to it's cost (free) but they often struggle due to it's many differences from Windows.
I have a BS in Information Technology from Kaplan University and an AS in Computer Science from Paducah Community College. I have a Certificate of Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) Professionals NSTISSI-4011 and a Certificate of Senior Systems Managers CNSSJ-4012. I have been in charge of IT infrastructures consisting of almost 100 servers. I have actively worked in the IT industry hands-on with technology since I started my career.
I have the proven ability to utilize information technology to solve business issues while managing costs and risks in a secure manner. I am adept at crisis management, trouble-shooting, problem-solving, and negotiating. I poses strong leadership, planning, team building and project management skills to deliver results and savings while maintaining the highest level of security.
Other project areas I have worked on and skills I have include but are not limited to:
- SDLC (System Development Life Cycle)
- Thorough working knowledge of standard TCP/IP protocols (including but not limited to SNMP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
- Vendor management
- Project management including budgeting and cost control
- Infrastructure mapping and upgrades including capacity and asset identification, consolidation, streamlining and maintenance
- Maintaining strong change management and documentation procedures
- PCI compliance responsibilities including assessing existing system by utilizing security scanning tools such as Tcpdump, Nmap, Cain & Abel, OpenVAS, Wireshark, Snort, and Tripwire as well as managing external firms as required for PCI compliance
- Led and implemented project to encrypt sensitive data on file system servers
- Led PCI security standards implementation and maintenance
- Other security program management and maintenance
- Disaster planning & recovery
- Implementing automated security patches/upgrades
- Implementing and maintained corporate Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Budgeting and cost control
- Coordination of enterprise penetration test exercises and remediation
- Implementing Microsoft Baseline Security Scanner (MBSA) to help identify security vulnerabilities
- Implementing and maintaining Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) to maintain corporate workstations and servers with the latest security patches to reduce security vulnerability levels
- Responsible for writing and managing many IT security policies and procedures for several companies
- Contributing to firm wide cost cutting initiatives
- Evaluating and starting implementation of thin client technology for call center workstations saving the PC hardware and IT support costs
From a personal perspective, I guess my hobbies have changed over the years. In the high-stressed life that many of us endure every day (and often that is the case in the I.T. field), I think it is really good to get away whenever possible. Perhaps that comes with age and/or wisdom. I try and focus on enjoying life and the beauty of nature all around us. I love taking a long, brisk walk each morning for cardio. I enjoy going to the beach or even a day hanging out at the pool. I love walking through the woods or taking a motorcycle/convertible ride through the beautiful Tennessee countryside. I enjoy going to flea markets, art shops, dining out, and browsing around many of the quaint little places around Nashville. I enjoy being around my kids (and at their age, that is hard to come by) and sometimes just hanging out watching some old movie or TV show. And yes, I do still sometimes find myself on my tablet reading about some new technology so I can keep up with the latest trends in the I.T. world.